Saturday, May 24, 2008

Conversation Collage

"What's it from?! 10, 9, 8, . . . " If you ever spend any length of time with my younger sister and me when we're together, you'll hear it countless times, peppered throughout almost every conversation we have.

While making lunch the other day, Mandi and I realized that not only to we quote movies . . . we quote movies a lot. So I thought I'd see what kind of a variety we cite, and started jotting down movie titles as we referenced them.

I got sick of it by the time we finished our work in the kitchen. But before setting my journal back onto the table, I had the time to jot down the following:

-Enchanted: this one's just a given . . .
-Beauty and the Beast: "I've been bernt by you beFORE!"
-West Side Story: "Hey YOU!" "Who me, Officer Krupke?!"
-Seinfeld (we decided to include TV shows as well): "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" (I haven't seen many episodes, but every once in a while I hear the Soup Nazi . . .)
-The Little Mermaid: "Whaaat is thiiiis?" (the French cook)
-Peter Pan: "3 degrees West!" (echo) "3 degrees West!" "Steady now . . . Steady!"
-Newsies: quoted all the time, anywhere . . . that's just the way it is.
-Joe versus the Volcano: "I sink ve are in fo' a blow . . ."
-Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: "Karakatackatis Potts"
-Princess Bride: another standard. 'nuf said.
-The Gods Must be Crazy: "It's an amazing psychological phenomenon"
------after this point, I quit jotting down the specific quote itself, 'cause it was slowing us down---
-The Sound of Music
-Little Women
-Singin' in the Rain
-Monte Python and the Holy Grail
-Ella Enchanted (books were within limits as well---I was actually really impressed. Mandi pulled this quote, even though I'm the one obsessed with the book)
-Fiddler on the Roof
-Muppet Treasure Island
-The King and I
-Cool Runnings
-Lady and the Tramp
-Babe
-Cinderella
-Dessert Song
-High School Musical II: Yeah, that's right. You know you love it too.

Maybe I'll throw up a quote every once in a while and see who can name the reference first . . . could be fun, ey?